Monday, February 22, 2010

The start of my garden

Summer squash, zucchini, cucumbers, beef steak tomatoes, Roma tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, and two kinds of flowers.

I am so looking forward to starting our garden this year! I have never been more ready for spring! I know a big part of it has to do with our having a little one to share it all with this year. I am so looking forward to watching her discover all that the plants and garden have to offer. Including the fact that many of her first foods will be coming from our own plants.
I started with a list of what I wanted to grow this year. The list consists of: bell peppers, potatoes, tomatoes (large, plum and cherry), summer squash, zucchini, and cucumbers. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!
I decided how many of each I want to plant. I made a list of then they need to be put to seed indoors (everything but the potatoes have to be started as seed). Then I figured out when I need to transplant them. Here are some great sites to help you figure this out...
Here is a look at my planting guide for this year.
Bell peppers- planning on 5-6 plants- start seeds indoors early to mid March- transplant out doors mid May to mid June
Potatoes- not sure how many we are going to plant yet- plant directly out doors late March to early May
Tomatoes (all varieties)- 2 large, 1 plum, 1 cherry- start seeds indoors mid to late March- transplant outdoors mid May to mid June ( no sooner than Mother's day)
Summer squash, cucumbers, and zucchini- 2 squash, 1 cucumber, 1 zucchini- start indoors early to mid April- transplant outdoors early to late May
These dates are for central Indiana. If you live in a different climate, these won't work for you.
I will be sure to update you on how the garden is coming. And please feel free to update me on yours. What are you planting this year? Are you new to gardening or are you a seasoned pro? Any tips on container gardening?

No comments:

Post a Comment