Saturday, March 6, 2010

Crockpot BBQ and Cornbread Casserole


For those of you who know me personally, you know how much I love my crock pots! They make for such easy meals! I use mine mostly for days when my DH is off work. I can make us a big breakfast and then while cleaning up from it, I can start dinner. Then, come 6:00 that evening, dinner is hot, done, and yummy with little to know work! How much better does it get?
Anyway, here is a wonderful recipe I found at this ladies site and I just had to try it! I hope you might enjoy it as well!
Ingredients:
  • 1 pound of chicken, cubed a cooked through or mostly through (about 2 large chicken breasts do it.)
  • 1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed into 1 inch chunks (optional)
  • one small onion, diced
  • 1 cup frozen or fresh corn
  • 1 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce (18 oz)
  • 1/4 cup warm water

Corn bread topping:

  • 3/4 cup corn meal
  • 1 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp baking powder

Directions:

I used a 4 quart crock pot for this and it was a great size! I know the sweet potatoes say "optional," but seriously, use them! In fact, I doubled it and used two. I don't normally like sweet potatoes but in this, they are great! They add a wonderful texture and flavor. Also, the first time I made this, I used the full recipe for the corn bread topping and it was just a little too much for our liking. I have since cut the recipe in half any time I've made it and it is about right. But, by all means, if your family likes cornbread, use it all!

Place the chicken, potatoes, onion, and corn in the crock pot. Squeeze in the entire bottle of BBQ sauce. Then pout the 1/4 cup of water into the bottle, close the top, shake and then pour into the crock pot. Mix it all together well with a spoon.

In a separate bowl, mix together all the corn bread topping ingredients. Spread on top of the chicken mix.

Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Makes about 4 to 6 decent sized portions.

The corn bread actually bakes in the crock pot and soaks up some of the good juices from the chicken mix. Serve with a side salad and some fruit and you have a wonderful meal!

Looking at the picture, I just wanna go whip up another batch! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment