Monday, March 1, 2010

Daily Bible reading in my hectic world


I will be the first to admit that I am terrible at keeping up with my devotions and Bible study. I have a bad habit of doing good for a week or two. But then something always comes up and I fall off the wagon yet again.


But I have started something new and I think it just might work. I now keep my Bible, open, on the dinner table. Most often, I eat my meals with just my daughter to keep me company. My DH works nights so I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner alone on the days he works. Some times he is eating breakfast while I am eating my lunch, but not always.


So, I have started to use meal time as Bible study time as well. My DD is usually content to sit in her high chair playing with her toys for 30 minutes or more. This allows me time to eat and read at the same time.


I am finding that this works quite well and I am actually getting in 3 to 4 chapters a day. Much more than I usually got just setting a specific time.
It seems like the "out of sight, out of mind" thing works here, in the opposite way though. Because I keep it out where I can always see it, it reminds me to take a moment, pause my life for a few minutes and drink in God's message.


Now, this isn't going to work everyday or for forever. On the days that DH is off work, I will take most of my meals with him, though he usually sleeps in, through my breakfast time. So I will have to deal with either reading less on those days, or finding time elsewhere in the day. And when my DD gets older, she may not willingly sit and watch me read. Maybe then I can start doing the Bible study with her. But it works for now. And that is what matters.


I have missed reading God's word! It seems like no matter what I am going through, His words comfort me, lead me, and encourage me. And I need all of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment