Saturday, May 8, 2010

Scalloped Asparagus

I have never like asparagus! In fact, it has always been on my "foods I hate" list. But the only way I'd ever had it was boiled till mushy. That's just the way my family had always fixed it. So when I came down with a UTI when pregnant with "L" and the midwives told me to eat lots of asparagus (as it is great for urinary tract health,) I went out looking for a recipe that sounded even remotely edible. I was not holding out much hope! Then I came across this recipe and was pleasantly surprised to discover that asparagus can actually taste good! Since then I have made this and other dishes using this lovely green sprig and am glad to say that asparagus (as long as it is not boiled till mushy) is no longer on my "foods I hate" list!

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups fresh asparagus, trimmed (this is about one good sized bundle at the grocery store)
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened/room temperature
  • 1/2 cup grated cheese
  • 1 cup bread crumbs

Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
  2. Put all the asparagus (reserving a few tips for garnish) into a greased 8x8 casserole dish.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, milk and butter then pour over the asparagus.
  4. Sprinkle with the cheese and then the bread crumbs. Dress with asparagus tips.
  5. Brown at 425'F for 20 minutes till asparagus is tender but not mushy.
  6. Enjoy!

Makes approximately 4-5 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment