- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 tsp. garlic powder (or garlic salt, we just watch our salt intake)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 to 16 oz.) kidney beans, undrained
- 2 cups biscuit mix (store bought or homemade)
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- Heat oven to 350'F. Spray a 10-inch skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Cook sausage and onion in skillet for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender. Spoon into ungreased 9x9 or 8x8 inch baking dish. Stir in garlic salt, chili powder, tomatoes and beans.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the remaining ingredients until blended. Pour over sausage mixture.
- Bake uncovered 35 to 40 minutes or until crust is light golden brown.
Notes: There was quite a bit of liquid when it was finish cooking, though later the leftovers were less moist as some of the liquid was absorbed into the mixture. Next time I might drain a little of the juice off the tomatoes or beans. Also, the "pour over sausage mixture" is a joke. It is way to thick to pour! Instead, you have to spoon it on in lumps all over the top and then kind of spread it out. It will pretty well even out when it is baked. I also cut the sausage into smaller pieces. I cut it in half length wise and then sliced it into 1/4 inch thick pieces. I also used a little less than a pound and we didn't miss it. Between the beans and the sausage, I figured it was plenty of protein!
Makes 6-8 servings. Serve with green beans, a side salad or just by itself. Either way, it was quite tasty!